Tottenham not in ideal condition for start of new campaign
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Mauricio Pochettino’s injury list continues to grow and they have only signed two players this summer
Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino conceded they enter this Premier League season with some players short of preparation and maybe not in an ideal condition.
Victor Wanyama, Eric Dier, Ben Davies and Serge Aurier have not featured at all in friendlies this summer due to fitness issues and Juan Foyth has suffered a lateral ligament injury to his left ankle, which will keep him out until September.
Dele Alli is expected to miss Saturday's league opener with Aston Villa due to his most recent hamstring problem and it leaves Pochettino with a headache.
Add to this the constant speculation around the futures of Toby Alderweireld, Danny Rose and Christian Eriksen plus the lack of new arrivals since Tanguy Ndombele was announced and it leaves the feeling that Tottenham have not kicked on like promised.
You may also want to watch:
"We are going to arrive in a very good condition, maybe not ideal condition and some players are a little bit shorter in their preparation," Pochettino said.
"It's not ideal, but it's going to be such a tough season and we are happy. We need to improve. We have one week to prepare for the game but we're going to arrive in a good condition to try to beat Aston Villa."
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
All eyes will be on Ndombele for the immediate future, unless Tottenham can make another signing or signings before the Premier League transfer window closes later in the week on Thursday at 5pm.
If any of the deals for Ryan Sessegnon, Giovani Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes can be completed, it will take some of the pressure off the Frenchman, who will need time to settle in England.
He signed for a club-record fee from Lyon this summer and has shown glimpses of his undoubted quality during pre-season.
But Pochettino warned: "For him it's difficult. We cannot expect too much. We need to accept he needs time to adapt to first a new culture, a new country, new habits.
"Of course it's only him who arrived to the club and that makes it more difficult because when a few are new they can help each other but it's only him.
"We need to give him time but I am happy in the way he is adapting. He is open to improve and learn but needs time to see the best version of him."
Spurs confirmed this morning the capacity for the new stadium has increased to 62,214, after Haringey Council approved an application from the club.