Maverick Sabre makes BBC Radio 1 show with Hackney’s Irish Travellers
Hackney-born and Irish-raised singer, Maverick Sabre, has made a radio show with young Irish Travellers from the borough.
Real name Michael Stafford, the 22-year old singer who featured on Professor Green’s single Jungle, met the travellers on their home turf.
Jerry Reilly, 14, said meeting Maverick had been a life changing experience.
“I really appreciated the fact that Maverick Sabre gave up his time to help us let our opinions be known,” he said.
“I also appreciate the he understood us and gave us advice that I have personally taken on board, like telling us not to worry about what others thought about us and to be your own person.
You may also want to watch:
“Through his words he has given me self belief and the confidence to be able to state my own opinions.”
Music is their common ground, and they share tales, rhymes and verses for the programme, The Story of the Travelling Man, which will be aired on Monday (June 4) at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school