Maverick Sabre makes BBC Radio 1 show with Hackney’s Irish Travellers
Hackney-born and Irish-raised singer, Maverick Sabre, has made a radio show with young Irish Travellers from the borough.
Real name Michael Stafford, the 22-year old singer who featured on Professor Green’s single Jungle, met the travellers on their home turf.
Jerry Reilly, 14, said meeting Maverick had been a life changing experience.
“I really appreciated the fact that Maverick Sabre gave up his time to help us let our opinions be known,” he said.
“I also appreciate the he understood us and gave us advice that I have personally taken on board, like telling us not to worry about what others thought about us and to be your own person.
You may also want to watch:
“Through his words he has given me self belief and the confidence to be able to state my own opinions.”
Music is their common ground, and they share tales, rhymes and verses for the programme, The Story of the Travelling Man, which will be aired on Monday (June 4) at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
- 10 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney