Maverick Sabre makes BBC Radio 1 show with Hackney’s Irish Travellers
Hackney-born and Irish-raised singer, Maverick Sabre, has made a radio show with young Irish Travellers from the borough.
Real name Michael Stafford, the 22-year old singer who featured on Professor Green’s single Jungle, met the travellers on their home turf.
Jerry Reilly, 14, said meeting Maverick had been a life changing experience.
“I really appreciated the fact that Maverick Sabre gave up his time to help us let our opinions be known,” he said.
“I also appreciate the he understood us and gave us advice that I have personally taken on board, like telling us not to worry about what others thought about us and to be your own person.
You may also want to watch:
“Through his words he has given me self belief and the confidence to be able to state my own opinions.”
Music is their common ground, and they share tales, rhymes and verses for the programme, The Story of the Travelling Man, which will be aired on Monday (June 4) at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding