Maverick Sabre makes BBC Radio 1 show with Hackney’s Irish Travellers
Hackney-born and Irish-raised singer, Maverick Sabre, has made a radio show with young Irish Travellers from the borough.
Real name Michael Stafford, the 22-year old singer who featured on Professor Green’s single Jungle, met the travellers on their home turf.
Jerry Reilly, 14, said meeting Maverick had been a life changing experience.
“I really appreciated the fact that Maverick Sabre gave up his time to help us let our opinions be known,” he said.
“I also appreciate the he understood us and gave us advice that I have personally taken on board, like telling us not to worry about what others thought about us and to be your own person.
“Through his words he has given me self belief and the confidence to be able to state my own opinions.”
Music is their common ground, and they share tales, rhymes and verses for the programme, The Story of the Travelling Man, which will be aired on Monday (June 4) at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.
- 1 'I'm in a bad mood': Man 'threw toolbox at woman's head at Overground station'
- 2 Video shows jewellers in Stamford Hill robbed twice in two months
- 3 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 4 Children hospitalised in Stamford Hill house fire involving candles
- 5 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 6 Hackney dance class needs funding to provide free sessions for London Fields community
- 7 Hackney high streets to get funding boost
- 8 Acapella choir to debut at Hackney's Round Chapel
- 9 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 10 Hackney centre sees 300 per cent rise in testing since Omicron variant found in UK