MEDIA CENTRE IN THE AIR
Hackney s Olympic legacy was dealt a further blow last week after officials refused to rule out moving the media centre for the 2012 Olympic Games to Stratford, Newham...
Hackney's Olympic legacy was dealt a further blow last week after officials refused to rule out moving the media centre for the 2012 Olympic Games to Stratford, Newham.
A spokesman for the Olympic Delivery Authority said that it was still in discussions about where centre would be built next year.
He told the Gazette: "This process is ongoing and no decisions have been taken as yet"
If moved, the loss of the centre at Hackney Wick would be a further reduction to the facilities the borough was promised when plans for the Olympic Park were first announced.
You may also want to watch:
Moving the media centre further East could put in jeopardy London Development Agency plans to use the buildings to create an employment zone for creative industries in Hackney Wick once the games are over.
It would mean the borough forfeiting an area of studios and offices bigger than Canary Wharf that could create up to 8,000 jobs.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
FOR THE FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S GAZETTE AVAILABLE FROM THURSDAY.