MEDIA CENTRE IN THE AIR
Hackney s Olympic legacy was dealt a further blow last week after officials refused to rule out moving the media centre for the 2012 Olympic Games to Stratford, Newham...
Hackney's Olympic legacy was dealt a further blow last week after officials refused to rule out moving the media centre for the 2012 Olympic Games to Stratford, Newham.
A spokesman for the Olympic Delivery Authority said that it was still in discussions about where centre would be built next year.
He told the Gazette: "This process is ongoing and no decisions have been taken as yet"
If moved, the loss of the centre at Hackney Wick would be a further reduction to the facilities the borough was promised when plans for the Olympic Park were first announced.
You may also want to watch:
Moving the media centre further East could put in jeopardy London Development Agency plans to use the buildings to create an employment zone for creative industries in Hackney Wick once the games are over.
It would mean the borough forfeiting an area of studios and offices bigger than Canary Wharf that could create up to 8,000 jobs.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
FOR THE FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S GAZETTE AVAILABLE FROM THURSDAY.