Meg Hillier, Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper Shadow Cabinet posts revealed
Top roles all round.
HACKNEY South and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier is the new Shadow Energy and Climate Change Secretary.
Ms Hillier was given the role by new Labour leader Ed Miliband, who held the same role previously.
An elated Ms Hillier told the Gazette: “I thought it (the post) would be higher up the pecking order. Ed Miliband said to me: ‘I’m not going to be a back seat driver’.
“I want to work closely with some of the groups I work with in Hackney to make sure we are keeping abreast of the green agenda. It’s very exciting. I’m really thrilled to be able to change policy.
You may also want to watch:
“I am hoping arrange a Hackney forum about what people think is important. The green sector is growing and I want to see how we invest in that development.”
Ms Hillier becomes the first MP in cabinet or shadow cabinet since Herbert Morrison in the 1930s.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Stoke Newington residents Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are also celebrating after being made Shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary respectively.