Meg Hillier, Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper Shadow Cabinet posts revealed
Top roles all round.
HACKNEY South and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier is the new Shadow Energy and Climate Change Secretary.
Ms Hillier was given the role by new Labour leader Ed Miliband, who held the same role previously.
An elated Ms Hillier told the Gazette: “I thought it (the post) would be higher up the pecking order. Ed Miliband said to me: ‘I’m not going to be a back seat driver’.
“I want to work closely with some of the groups I work with in Hackney to make sure we are keeping abreast of the green agenda. It’s very exciting. I’m really thrilled to be able to change policy.
You may also want to watch:
“I am hoping arrange a Hackney forum about what people think is important. The green sector is growing and I want to see how we invest in that development.”
Ms Hillier becomes the first MP in cabinet or shadow cabinet since Herbert Morrison in the 1930s.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Stoke Newington residents Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are also celebrating after being made Shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary respectively.