Meg Hillier, Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper Shadow Cabinet posts revealed
Top roles all round.
HACKNEY South and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier is the new Shadow Energy and Climate Change Secretary.
Ms Hillier was given the role by new Labour leader Ed Miliband, who held the same role previously.
An elated Ms Hillier told the Gazette: “I thought it (the post) would be higher up the pecking order. Ed Miliband said to me: ‘I’m not going to be a back seat driver’.
“I want to work closely with some of the groups I work with in Hackney to make sure we are keeping abreast of the green agenda. It’s very exciting. I’m really thrilled to be able to change policy.
You may also want to watch:
“I am hoping arrange a Hackney forum about what people think is important. The green sector is growing and I want to see how we invest in that development.”
Ms Hillier becomes the first MP in cabinet or shadow cabinet since Herbert Morrison in the 1930s.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
Stoke Newington residents Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are also celebrating after being made Shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary respectively.