Meg Hillier, Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper Shadow Cabinet posts revealed
Top roles all round.
HACKNEY South and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier is the new Shadow Energy and Climate Change Secretary.
Ms Hillier was given the role by new Labour leader Ed Miliband, who held the same role previously.
An elated Ms Hillier told the Gazette: “I thought it (the post) would be higher up the pecking order. Ed Miliband said to me: ‘I’m not going to be a back seat driver’.
“I want to work closely with some of the groups I work with in Hackney to make sure we are keeping abreast of the green agenda. It’s very exciting. I’m really thrilled to be able to change policy.
“I am hoping arrange a Hackney forum about what people think is important. The green sector is growing and I want to see how we invest in that development.”
Ms Hillier becomes the first MP in cabinet or shadow cabinet since Herbert Morrison in the 1930s.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 3 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 4 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 5 London among areas where drought is declared
- 6 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 7 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
Stoke Newington residents Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are also celebrating after being made Shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary respectively.