Meg Hillier, Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper Shadow Cabinet posts revealed
Top roles all round.
HACKNEY South and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier is the new Shadow Energy and Climate Change Secretary.
Ms Hillier was given the role by new Labour leader Ed Miliband, who held the same role previously.
An elated Ms Hillier told the Gazette: “I thought it (the post) would be higher up the pecking order. Ed Miliband said to me: ‘I’m not going to be a back seat driver’.
“I want to work closely with some of the groups I work with in Hackney to make sure we are keeping abreast of the green agenda. It’s very exciting. I’m really thrilled to be able to change policy.
“I am hoping arrange a Hackney forum about what people think is important. The green sector is growing and I want to see how we invest in that development.”
Ms Hillier becomes the first MP in cabinet or shadow cabinet since Herbert Morrison in the 1930s.
- 1 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 2 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 3 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 4 Hackney council home tenants to see rents increase
- 5 'Major victory': Ridley Road Shopping Village's future secured
- 6 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 7 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 8 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 9 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
Stoke Newington residents Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are also celebrating after being made Shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary respectively.