East London women’s group and Hackney bakery recognised for mentor project
- Credit: Soroptimist International East London
An East London women’s organisation and Hackney bakery have been recognised for the support and mentoring they provide to vulnerable women.
Women’s organisation Soroptimist East London have helped many women forge a more secure future, getting many back into employment or education with help from Stoke Newington social-enterprise, Luminary Bakery.
That is why the East London group was the Best Practice Award in the category Prosperity by SIGBI (Soroptimist International of Great Britain and Ireland), a global volunteer movement working to transform the lives of women and girls in 124 countries.
Alice Williams of the Luminary Bakery said: “Luminary are really grateful to the Soroptimist volunteers who have been mentoring our graduates from our training programs, really investing in their personal and professional development and making them feel a part of community.”
Halimot Ogunnaike of Haliberry Cakes and Catering, was a student of the Luminary Bakery and now runs her own business. She told the Gazette: “My Soroptimist mentor did a wonderful job.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s like my mum and a mentor at the same time. She’s been one of the pillars of my business helping me along the way.”
Halimot has not only set up her own baking business, she has also become a member of Soroptimist East London herself.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
She added: “I want to give back to the community, to share my skills and offer what I can. Just a week ago I gave a charity baking class to raise money for The Ideas Partnership, our partner in Kosovo.”
Alison Charles, a member of Soroptimist East London who lead the Luminary mentoring project said Soroptimist East London chose to mentor women trainees at Luminary Bakery because it makes a “real difference” to the lives of the women it supports.
She added: “Working with Luminary feels like working with a family, they care deeply for all the women they support. It is an honour to work alongside them.”
Soroptimist East London meets every month at various locations in East London or on-line. To learn more visit To learn more click here or get in touch at SIELSecretary@gmail.com
Learn more about Halimot’s cakes and attend her online baking classes click here
To Learn about the Luminary Bakery click here.