Messi mess up on Hackney Marshes
The Hackney Gazette team want to hear from football fans caught up in Messi mania on Hackney Marshes.
The Fifa World Footballer of the Year Lionel Messi was mobbed by excited supporters as he flew into the home of Sunday league football by helicopter at about 4.30pm on Wednesday (September 16) as part of an Adidas promotion.
He was supposed to come on as ‘the best sub in the world’ in a game between year 10 sides from Hackney secondary schools, The Bridge Academy in Laburnum Street, Haggerston, and Cardinal Pole Catholic School in Kenworthy Road, Homerton.
Cardinal Pole players were winning 2-1 when Messi arrived but was greeted by so many fans that he was taken away in a security van after about ten minutes - before he could even get his boots on and join the match.
Our video - posted on You Tube by site user Neptizzle - shows the melee in full swing.
You may also want to watch:
If you were there, send your pictures or videos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs