Messi mess up on Hackney Marshes
The Hackney Gazette team want to hear from football fans caught up in Messi mania on Hackney Marshes.
The Fifa World Footballer of the Year Lionel Messi was mobbed by excited supporters as he flew into the home of Sunday league football by helicopter at about 4.30pm on Wednesday (September 16) as part of an Adidas promotion.
He was supposed to come on as ‘the best sub in the world’ in a game between year 10 sides from Hackney secondary schools, The Bridge Academy in Laburnum Street, Haggerston, and Cardinal Pole Catholic School in Kenworthy Road, Homerton.
Cardinal Pole players were winning 2-1 when Messi arrived but was greeted by so many fans that he was taken away in a security van after about ten minutes - before he could even get his boots on and join the match.
Our video - posted on You Tube by site user Neptizzle - shows the melee in full swing.
You may also want to watch:
If you were there, send your pictures or videos to email@example.com
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools