Up to £1,000 to be offered to Hackney organisations celebrating Windrush
- Credit: Archant
A fund has been set up for groups and events celebrating the Windrush legacy.
Hackney Council is offering microgrants of up to £1,000 for organisations involved in commemorating and educating people on the Windrush generation, who came from the Caribbean to help rebuild Britain after the second world war.
Hackney’s Windrush lead Cllr Carole Williams said: “In Hackney, the honouring of our Windrush community and the fight for justice after the Windrush Scandal is a year-round affair.
“As we acknowledge the disproportionate effect coronavirus has had on our Black community, the council’s lobbying to end the hostile environment policies, and the vital focus on inequality the Black Lives Matter movement has evoked, it’s never felt more important to celebrate and educate everyone on the legacy and contributions the Windrush Community brings.
I look forward to seeing the ideas we are able to support that help us achieve just that.”
You may also want to watch:
The microgrants will support winning plans taking place between October this year and next March and, they could also be used to programme events during Black history season in October.
Applicants can choose to run an activity, workshop or an event for any age or background that meet the Windrush Microgrant fund objectives to celebrate, commemorate or educate on the ongoing legacy of the Windrush community.
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 4 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 7 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
Visit www.news.hackney.gov.uk/grants-of-up-to-1000-to-celebrate-windrush for more information.
To apply for a Windrush microgrant complete the online form by clicking here by midnight on 27 September 2020.