Up to £1,000 to be offered to Hackney organisations celebrating Windrush
- Credit: Archant
A fund has been set up for groups and events celebrating the Windrush legacy.
Hackney Council is offering microgrants of up to £1,000 for organisations involved in commemorating and educating people on the Windrush generation, who came from the Caribbean to help rebuild Britain after the second world war.
Hackney’s Windrush lead Cllr Carole Williams said: “In Hackney, the honouring of our Windrush community and the fight for justice after the Windrush Scandal is a year-round affair.
“As we acknowledge the disproportionate effect coronavirus has had on our Black community, the council’s lobbying to end the hostile environment policies, and the vital focus on inequality the Black Lives Matter movement has evoked, it’s never felt more important to celebrate and educate everyone on the legacy and contributions the Windrush Community brings.
I look forward to seeing the ideas we are able to support that help us achieve just that.”
You may also want to watch:
The microgrants will support winning plans taking place between October this year and next March and, they could also be used to programme events during Black history season in October.
Applicants can choose to run an activity, workshop or an event for any age or background that meet the Windrush Microgrant fund objectives to celebrate, commemorate or educate on the ongoing legacy of the Windrush community.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
Visit www.news.hackney.gov.uk/grants-of-up-to-1000-to-celebrate-windrush for more information.
To apply for a Windrush microgrant complete the online form by clicking here by midnight on 27 September 2020.