Up to £1,000 to be offered to Hackney organisations celebrating Windrush
- Credit: Archant
A fund has been set up for groups and events celebrating the Windrush legacy.
Hackney Council is offering microgrants of up to £1,000 for organisations involved in commemorating and educating people on the Windrush generation, who came from the Caribbean to help rebuild Britain after the second world war.
Hackney’s Windrush lead Cllr Carole Williams said: “In Hackney, the honouring of our Windrush community and the fight for justice after the Windrush Scandal is a year-round affair.
“As we acknowledge the disproportionate effect coronavirus has had on our Black community, the council’s lobbying to end the hostile environment policies, and the vital focus on inequality the Black Lives Matter movement has evoked, it’s never felt more important to celebrate and educate everyone on the legacy and contributions the Windrush Community brings.
I look forward to seeing the ideas we are able to support that help us achieve just that.”
You may also want to watch:
The microgrants will support winning plans taking place between October this year and next March and, they could also be used to programme events during Black history season in October.
Applicants can choose to run an activity, workshop or an event for any age or background that meet the Windrush Microgrant fund objectives to celebrate, commemorate or educate on the ongoing legacy of the Windrush community.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
Visit www.news.hackney.gov.uk/grants-of-up-to-1000-to-celebrate-windrush for more information.
To apply for a Windrush microgrant complete the online form by clicking here by midnight on 27 September 2020.