Mindless vandals smashed Haggerston Park toilets with hammer and set them alight
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to public toilets in Haggerston Park, and smashed them up with a hammer, causing around £20,000 damage.
The damage is thought to have happened last Monday, November 18, at around 5pm just before the park closed for the day.
The vandals smashed three cisterns in the mens’ toilets with a hammer, and extensively damaged other fixtures.
The womens’ toilets were then set on fire, causing extensive fire and smoke damage.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane condemned the vandals.
“Behaviour like this has an impact on the whole community and the cost of repairs must come from budgets that could be spent on investing even more in our great parks and open spaces,” he said.
The toilets will be shut for at least a month. impacting families using the play area as well as three local schools which use the park for their physical education classes.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 7 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 8 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the police on 101.