Mindless vandals smashed Haggerston Park toilets with hammer and set them alight
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to public toilets in Haggerston Park, and smashed them up with a hammer, causing around £20,000 damage.
The damage is thought to have happened last Monday, November 18, at around 5pm just before the park closed for the day.
The vandals smashed three cisterns in the mens’ toilets with a hammer, and extensively damaged other fixtures.
The womens’ toilets were then set on fire, causing extensive fire and smoke damage.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane condemned the vandals.
You may also want to watch:
“Behaviour like this has an impact on the whole community and the cost of repairs must come from budgets that could be spent on investing even more in our great parks and open spaces,” he said.
The toilets will be shut for at least a month. impacting families using the play area as well as three local schools which use the park for their physical education classes.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the police on 101.