Mindless vandals smashed Haggerston Park toilets with hammer and set them alight
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to public toilets in Haggerston Park, and smashed them up with a hammer, causing around £20,000 damage.
The damage is thought to have happened last Monday, November 18, at around 5pm just before the park closed for the day.
The vandals smashed three cisterns in the mens’ toilets with a hammer, and extensively damaged other fixtures.
The womens’ toilets were then set on fire, causing extensive fire and smoke damage.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane condemned the vandals.
You may also want to watch:
“Behaviour like this has an impact on the whole community and the cost of repairs must come from budgets that could be spent on investing even more in our great parks and open spaces,” he said.
The toilets will be shut for at least a month. impacting families using the play area as well as three local schools which use the park for their physical education classes.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the police on 101.