Mindless vandals smashed Haggerston Park toilets with hammer and set them alight
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to public toilets in Haggerston Park, and smashed them up with a hammer, causing around £20,000 damage.
The damage is thought to have happened last Monday, November 18, at around 5pm just before the park closed for the day.
The vandals smashed three cisterns in the mens’ toilets with a hammer, and extensively damaged other fixtures.
The womens’ toilets were then set on fire, causing extensive fire and smoke damage.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane condemned the vandals.
You may also want to watch:
“Behaviour like this has an impact on the whole community and the cost of repairs must come from budgets that could be spent on investing even more in our great parks and open spaces,” he said.
The toilets will be shut for at least a month. impacting families using the play area as well as three local schools which use the park for their physical education classes.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the police on 101.