Mindless vandals smashed Haggerston Park toilets with hammer and set them alight
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to public toilets in Haggerston Park, and smashed them up with a hammer, causing around £20,000 damage.
The damage is thought to have happened last Monday, November 18, at around 5pm just before the park closed for the day.
The vandals smashed three cisterns in the mens’ toilets with a hammer, and extensively damaged other fixtures.
The womens’ toilets were then set on fire, causing extensive fire and smoke damage.
Hackney Council’s cabinet member for health, social care and culture, Cllr Jonathan McShane condemned the vandals.
“Behaviour like this has an impact on the whole community and the cost of repairs must come from budgets that could be spent on investing even more in our great parks and open spaces,” he said.
The toilets will be shut for at least a month. impacting families using the play area as well as three local schools which use the park for their physical education classes.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 3 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 4 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 5 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 6 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 7 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
- 10 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the police on 101.