Mixed emotions for Josh Onomah, as Tottenham Hotspur youngster is harshly sent off, but England reach semi-finals
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Kyle Walker-Peters played whole match against Mexico, as Paul Simpson’s team claimed a 1-0 win despite Josh Onomah’s unfortunate red card
Tottenham Hotspur youngster Josh Onomah was harshly sent off, but England still managed to reach the semi-finals of the under-20 World Cup earlier this afternoon for the first time since 1993.
The Spurs midfielder received a second yellow card against Mexico in the 72nd minute in South Korea.
Onomah dribbled past his opponent and unintentionally trod on the foot of his Mexican rival.
Despite the accidental nature of the collision, referee Mohammed Abdulla Hassan pulled out a second yellow card for the England international, much to the surprise of his team-mates.
You may also want to watch:
The Three Lions were winning 1-0 at this point after Dominic Solanke found the net two minutes into the second half.
Even without Onomah, England held firm to snuff out any Mexico threat with Spurs team-mate Kyle Walker-Peters defending strongly at left-back.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
Paul Simpson’s team will face Italy in the last four of the competition on Thursday, but Onomah will be suspended.
Walker-Peters will look to impress again and help the Three Lions qualify for the final of the World Cup.