Search

Mixing of cleaning products causes chemical incident in Stoke Newington

PUBLISHED: 15:30 19 March 2020 | UPDATED: 15:30 19 March 2020

Fire crews at the scene of the chemical incident in Defoe Road, Stoke Newington. Picture: Gianluca Avagnina

Fire crews at the scene of the chemical incident in Defoe Road, Stoke Newington. Picture: Gianluca Avagnina

Archant

A Stoke Newington pair had to be treated by medics after mixing cleaning products produced chlorine gas.

You may also want to watch:

Firefighters and the London Ambulance Service were called to reports of a chemical incident in Defoe Road at 11.50pm on Sunday. London Fire Brigade said mixing products had caused a chemical reaction and produced a “small amount” of chlorine gas.

Crews carried out a sweep of the property and ventilated it to make it safe. A man and a woman who had left the building were treated at the scene.

The incident was under control within an hour. Firefighters from Stoke Newington attended along with fire rescue units from Bethnal Green and Euston.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette