Mixing of cleaning products causes chemical incident in Stoke Newington

Fire crews at the scene of the chemical incident in Defoe Road, Stoke Newington. Picture: Gianluca A

Fire crews at the scene of the chemical incident in Defoe Road, Stoke Newington. Picture: Gianluca Avagnina - Credit: Archant

A Stoke Newington pair had to be treated by medics after mixing cleaning products produced chlorine gas.

Firefighters and the London Ambulance Service were called to reports of a chemical incident in Defoe Road at 11.50pm on Sunday. London Fire Brigade said mixing products had caused a chemical reaction and produced a “small amount” of chlorine gas.

Crews carried out a sweep of the property and ventilated it to make it safe. A man and a woman who had left the building were treated at the scene.

The incident was under control within an hour. Firefighters from Stoke Newington attended along with fire rescue units from Bethnal Green and Euston.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter