Police chase sees moped rider smash into car in Kingsland High Street after pursuit through Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
A moped rider is in hospital after a police chase ended with him crashing into a car in Dalston.
It happened at about 2.30pm on Saturday after officers on foot “made contact” with the rider at the crossroads of the high street, Crossway and Shacklewell Lane.
The pursuit began in Shoreditch High Street at about 2.30pm after the rider “failed to stop for police”, although cops at first lost him shortly afterwards.
But when he tried to drive the vehicle through the barrier of an environmental protest further up the road in Dalston, cops on foot patrol intercepted him and he hit the car, smashing the driver’s window. The woman behind the wheel was unhurt.
Meanwhile the moped rider was treated at the scene by medics from London Ambulance Service. Police said his injuries were not life-threatening.
You may also want to watch:
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: “The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards and will be informed as a matter of course.”
Environmental protest movement Extinction Rebellion had blocked off Kingsland High Street hours earlier for a demonstration “rebelling against the government for its crimes against humanity”.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Speakers and entertainers addressed the large crowd from a stage outside the Overground station while volunteers handed out leaflets stating: “The forests are burning, the temperatures are soaring, the ecosystem is dying. The lives of the younger generation are in the balance.”