Police chase sees moped rider smash into car in Kingsland High Street after pursuit through Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
A moped rider is in hospital after a police chase ended with him crashing into a car in Dalston.
It happened at about 2.30pm on Saturday after officers on foot “made contact” with the rider at the crossroads of the high street, Crossway and Shacklewell Lane.
The pursuit began in Shoreditch High Street at about 2.30pm after the rider “failed to stop for police”, although cops at first lost him shortly afterwards.
But when he tried to drive the vehicle through the barrier of an environmental protest further up the road in Dalston, cops on foot patrol intercepted him and he hit the car, smashing the driver’s window. The woman behind the wheel was unhurt.
Meanwhile the moped rider was treated at the scene by medics from London Ambulance Service. Police said his injuries were not life-threatening.
You may also want to watch:
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: “The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards and will be informed as a matter of course.”
Environmental protest movement Extinction Rebellion had blocked off Kingsland High Street hours earlier for a demonstration “rebelling against the government for its crimes against humanity”.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 9 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 10 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
Speakers and entertainers addressed the large crowd from a stage outside the Overground station while volunteers handed out leaflets stating: “The forests are burning, the temperatures are soaring, the ecosystem is dying. The lives of the younger generation are in the balance.”