Mother-baby bond captured in life’s first magical 24 hours
- Credit: Archant
Times photographer Jenny Lewis publishes intimate portraits of babies “One Day Young”
A photographer’s five year labour of love, capturing the first day of the intimate bond between mother and baby has been turned into to hardback book.
Jenny Lewis, who lives in Queensbridge Road, Dalston, and is a mother-of-two herself, appealed in the Gazette for mothers to come forward to feature in her book One Day Young in 2009.
Having now taken photos of 150 fellow parents she is over the moon that it is finally being published by Hoxton Mini Press.
Mrs Lewis, who works in celebrity photography on the covers of magazines with the likes of Thandie Newton, Peter Blake and the Beastie Boys, sought out mothers from her home borough.
You may also want to watch:
They are all photographed in their own environments, providing a personal backdrop to each portrait.
“What I am capturing is the strength and wonder, the pure energy and excitement of bonding with the baby they have just met,” said Mrs Lewis, who has worked as a portrait photographer for the last 15 years.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
“In fact the whole range of amazing emotions felt at that time, as the mothering instinct kicks in.
“This is about the positive side of birth rather than the sensationalised by the One Born Every Minute vibe,” she added, referring to the emotionally-charged TV documentary set in a maternity ward.
The book One Day Young which will be published on March 12, contains 40 portraits of mother and child.