Mother to appear in court charged with murdering girl, 4, in Lower Clapton
The mother of a four-year-old girl stabbed to death in Lower Clapton is due in court this afternoon charged with her murder.
The child’s disembowelled corpse was discovered in a third-floor flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road shortly after 3pm on December 16 last year.
Her mother was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder. She was later sectioned under the Mental Health Act and remains in a secure unit.
Police have now charged the 36-year-old and she is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.
A post-mortem examination on December 18 at Poplar Mortuary gave no formal cause of death.
You may also want to watch:
An inquest opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on December 20.
Officers from the Child Abuse Investigation Command Major Investigation Team are investigating.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared