Mother to appear in court charged with murdering girl, 4, in Lower Clapton
The mother of a four-year-old girl stabbed to death in Lower Clapton is due in court this afternoon charged with her murder.
The child’s disembowelled corpse was discovered in a third-floor flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road shortly after 3pm on December 16 last year.
Her mother was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder. She was later sectioned under the Mental Health Act and remains in a secure unit.
Police have now charged the 36-year-old and she is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.
A post-mortem examination on December 18 at Poplar Mortuary gave no formal cause of death.
An inquest opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on December 20.
Officers from the Child Abuse Investigation Command Major Investigation Team are investigating.
- 1 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 2 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 3 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 6 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 7 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 8 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 9 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 10 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers