Mountgrove Road street party sees Stoke Newington rat run closed to traffic
- Credit: Alain Desmier
A road normally used as a rat run between Green Lanes and Blackstock Road was closed to traffic on Sunday, as neighbours came together for a street party.
With one half of the road in Islington and the other in Hackney, Mountgrove Road was lined with picnic tables as residents came out to enjoy live band 51st State, and youngsters played games, rode bikes and had their faces painted.
Alain Desmier, who stood as an MP for Islington South and Finsbury last year, told the Gazette: “It’s never been done before, largely because the road is split across Hackney and Islington.
“People bought cakes, sausages and burgers and swapped stories and met neighbours for the first time that they had passed in the street for years.
“Having no cars meant that local children rode bikes and played football and badminton along a road that is usually used as a cut through.
“Everyone agreed that it was a great day and can’t wait to get the next Mountgrove Road Street party organised.”
- 1 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 2 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 3 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 4 Hackney groups respond to permanent Homerton LTN
- 5 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 6 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 7 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 8 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 9 Men jailed after violent Mare Street robberies
- 10 Convicted: Met special constable who assaulted man in custody