Mountgrove Road street party sees Stoke Newington rat run closed to traffic
- Credit: Alain Desmier
A road normally used as a rat run between Green Lanes and Blackstock Road was closed to traffic on Sunday, as neighbours came together for a street party.
With one half of the road in Islington and the other in Hackney, Mountgrove Road was lined with picnic tables as residents came out to enjoy live band 51st State, and youngsters played games, rode bikes and had their faces painted.
Alain Desmier, who stood as an MP for Islington South and Finsbury last year, told the Gazette: “It’s never been done before, largely because the road is split across Hackney and Islington.
“People bought cakes, sausages and burgers and swapped stories and met neighbours for the first time that they had passed in the street for years.
“Having no cars meant that local children rode bikes and played football and badminton along a road that is usually used as a cut through.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone agreed that it was a great day and can’t wait to get the next Mountgrove Road Street party organised.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death