Mountgrove Road street party sees Stoke Newington rat run closed to traffic
- Credit: Alain Desmier
A road normally used as a rat run between Green Lanes and Blackstock Road was closed to traffic on Sunday, as neighbours came together for a street party.
With one half of the road in Islington and the other in Hackney, Mountgrove Road was lined with picnic tables as residents came out to enjoy live band 51st State, and youngsters played games, rode bikes and had their faces painted.
Alain Desmier, who stood as an MP for Islington South and Finsbury last year, told the Gazette: “It’s never been done before, largely because the road is split across Hackney and Islington.
“People bought cakes, sausages and burgers and swapped stories and met neighbours for the first time that they had passed in the street for years.
“Having no cars meant that local children rode bikes and played football and badminton along a road that is usually used as a cut through.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone agreed that it was a great day and can’t wait to get the next Mountgrove Road Street party organised.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV