Mountgrove Road street party sees Stoke Newington rat run closed to traffic
- Credit: Alain Desmier
A road normally used as a rat run between Green Lanes and Blackstock Road was closed to traffic on Sunday, as neighbours came together for a street party.
With one half of the road in Islington and the other in Hackney, Mountgrove Road was lined with picnic tables as residents came out to enjoy live band 51st State, and youngsters played games, rode bikes and had their faces painted.
Alain Desmier, who stood as an MP for Islington South and Finsbury last year, told the Gazette: “It’s never been done before, largely because the road is split across Hackney and Islington.
“People bought cakes, sausages and burgers and swapped stories and met neighbours for the first time that they had passed in the street for years.
“Having no cars meant that local children rode bikes and played football and badminton along a road that is usually used as a cut through.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone agreed that it was a great day and can’t wait to get the next Mountgrove Road Street party organised.”
- 1 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 2 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 6 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers