Sissoko insists Tottenham will be ‘without regret’ after Ajax second leg
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The former Newcastle United midfielder remains confident Spurs can still progress to the Champions League final
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Moussa Sissoko says they deserve to be among the last four clubs in the Champions League and believes they can produce another shock result in this season’s tournament and make the final.
Spurs travel to Amsterdam for the semi-final second leg away to Ajax on Wednesday needing to overturn a 1-0 deficit from the first meeting in London.
Mauricio Pochettino’s team struggled to create chances at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last week and will need to produce their best to upset the Eredivisie club.
It will be another great escape of sorts, but after coming back from being down and out in the group stage and then stunning Borussia Dortmund and Manchester City in the knock-out phase, the Lilywhites still have plenty of belief despite now being underdogs.
Sissoko told this title after the first leg: “Personally me and all of the players and even the staff we don’t listen to what the people are saying outside.
“We are only focused on ourselves. We spoke at the beginning of the season and we knew what we wanted to do and we are here because we did a lot of work and we did everything to be here.
- 1 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 4 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 5 From college student to stage performer: How All Points East Festival is helping young artists
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 8 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 9 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 10 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
“It is normal to be here, we played well and some good games and we deserve to be here. Now we need to give everything without regret and we will see what happens.
“Like I said, now we prepare for the second leg of the semi-final. We don’t need to think too much. We just need to give 100 per cent because it is not every single season you have the chance to play in the semi-final of the Champions League.
“It is something historic for us and the club, so we need to enjoy that moment, but we want to keep this moment going and go to the final because this is our target.”
Spurs will welcome Heung-min Son back into the fold after he missed the first leg due to suspension.
He will serve another ban on Sunday against Everton in the Premier League, after he was sent off in the 1-0 defeat away to AFC Bournemouth last weekend.
Tottenham will be expecting some type of response from Son after his petulance at Dean Court.
Sissoko added: “It will be a good thing for us. We know the quality of Son and we know what he adds to this team.
“It will be great to have him back and hopefully he can score some goals because this year he scored a lot.
“Hopefully with, we go there and try to have the same mentality and try to come back with qualification. We want to go to the final and it will be something amazing for all of us.”