MP Diane Abbott backs graduate teaching scheme
MP Diane Abbott has given the thumbs up to a graduate teacher scheme, which boosts results among inner city youngsters.
Teach First, which attracts top graduates into the teaching profession and places them in schools in deprived areas, was congratulated by the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington and Shadow minister for Public Health.
Research has shown that the scheme, set up in 2002, helped to boost GCSE attainment by a third of a grade in every subject.
Diane supported the scheme in February, when she taught a lesson at Clapton Girls Technology College in Laura Place, Lower Clapton.
She also attended a Teach First event in March alongside then Prime Minister, Gordon Brown at Woodberry Down Primary School in Woodberry Grove, to see how they were making use of graduates from the scheme.
Ms Abbott said: “I have always been a strong advocate of Teach First and I am pleased that it has been proved that it is helping to boost results among youngsters.
“The idea that this scheme helps youngsters who may be at a disadvantage, to achieve a level playing field with other children, no matter where they grow up, is a great thing and it is something I will continue to support.
- 1 Hackney high streets to get funding boost
- 2 Man 'threw toolbox' at woman's head at Overground station
- 3 Met officer sacked for concealing proceeds of husband's crimes
- 4 Video shows jewellers in Stamford Hill robbed twice in two months
- 5 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Pay cut decision overturned after council worker strike
- 8 First-of-its-kind De Beauvoir event brings women and the police together
- 9 Dedicated police team set up for Shoreditch Town Centre
- 10 'We're sorry': Hackney Council apologises after pandemic repairs backlog
“I am pleased that this is one education scheme started under Labour that the Coalition has pledged to back, and I hope will we see it go from strength to strength.”