MP Diane Abbott pushes for Shoreditch “Tech City” progress
MP Diane Abbott has urged the government to show more enthusiasm about Shoreditch’s promised “Tech City,” after plans for a promised $500m investment there remain vague.
Super-corporation Cisco Systems pledged the money for two “innovation centres” in Shoreditch and the Stratford Olympic Park in February - adding credence to PM David Cameron’s hope the area could become one of the world’s leading technology centres.
But Ms Abbott, MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington took minister David Willets MP to task in a Westminster Hall debate last week, over what progress had been made on Tech City since the Prime Minister’s opening speech last November.
The Minister for Universities and Science said he didn’t have any further information on the matter, and also failed to come up with a timescale for the $500m British Innovation Gateway (BIG) scheme, funded by Cisco.
Following the debate, Ms Abbott said: “People (in Hackney) are buzzing about the prospect of having the British answer to Silicon Valley right on their doorstep.
You may also want to watch:
“The Government simply must match our level of enthusiasm and excitement.”
However Mr Willets did commit to increasing Hackney Council’s involvement regeneration project, and promised to arrange a meeting between UK Trade and Investment and the chief executive of Hackney Council. Tim Shields.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
He also pledged to “work together” with Diane in forging links between Tech City and young people in the local area.