MP Diane Abbott under fire for Kardashian Twitter jibe
- Credit: Diane Abbott - submitted
Diane Abbott has found herself in hot water again over her tweets, after appearling to imply reality TV star Kim Kardashian is a ‘gold digger’.
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington and shadow Public Health Minister was reacting on social networking site Twitter to the announcement Ms Kardashian is pregnant with rapper Kanye West’s child.
She tweeted “Kim Kardashian having a baby by Kanye West? He needs to listen to his own lyrics”.
She accompanied the tweet with a link to Kanye West’s video “Gold Digger” on video site Youtube – but removed the post within minutes.
Journalism student Nicola Keaney, who brought the tweet to the attention of the Gazette, said: “What is most shocking about Abbott’s comment is that it demonstrates a clear lack of female solidarity, compassion and/or empathy for what should be extremely joyous news for a woman.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “It should be cause for concern that Abbott’s first instinct was to criticise and post a music video with several derogatory, anti-female terms, but it is also quite surprising that she felt aligning the self-made, financially stable Kardashian sister with label “gold-digger” was somehow a clever thing to write.
Ms Abbott declined to comment.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 6 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 7 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant
The MP was accused of racism last year after she tweeted “White people love playing divide and rule,” when commenting on the Stephen Lawrence murder trial.
She said at the time the tweet had been misunderstood and “taken out of context”.