MP for Hackney South Meg Hillier challenges Nigerian counterparts
MP Meg Hillier challenged her counterparts in Nigeria about their salaries on a recent visit to the country.
Ms Hillier who chairs the all party parliamentary group on Nigeria made the trip for which they will launch imminently launch a paper.
“There are lots of challenging issues, we talked to Save the Children about health issues and the millennium goals for malaria,” she said.
“There are still so many challenges yet it’s a very rich country, we did challenge the MPs there about their salaries, they get paid in a month roughly the equivalent of what we get paid in a year, but we weren’t in an environment where we could pin them down, we are trying to do that now,” she added.
Ms Hillier also visited a project that’s paid for by Department for International Development in Niger Estate in the north of the country to get young women to train as teachers, because not having enough women teachers was contributing to young girls not going to school.
You may also want to watch:
They also made a visit to a school where parents have formed a committee to hold the teachers to account, to make sure they turn up and teach properly, and which also challenges children selling things by the roadside why they aren’t at school.
“One of our missions is to remind people about the real Nigeria, not the corruption and the bombings,” she said.
- 1 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 The "milkmen for beer" now deliver in Hackney
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes