MP Meg Hillier given Valentine’s card at Dalston Oxfam
The card asks the shadow secretary for energy and climate change to push for international climate change fund
MP for Hackney South Meg Hillier was presented with a giant Valentine’s Day card when she joined climate change campaigners during a clothes swap in a Dalston charity shop last week.
The card signed by local residents, and read: “I would like you to be my Valentine and show your love for the world.”
At the UN Climate Conference in December, world leaders agreed to create a green fund to help poor countries adapt to the effects of climate change – and governments must now confirm where the money will come from.
Local residents want Ms Hillier to use her influence as Shadow Secretary for Energy and Climate Change and ask the government how it proposes to finance the fund.
You may also want to watch:
As bargain-hunters surrendered, salvaged and swapped much-loved garments for the clothing exchange, they discussed the finance issue with their MP.
Ms Hillier acknowledged the importance to provide international climate finance for countries in need of help.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Shocked woman finds bugs in unopened Lidl Paprika Jar
- 4 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 6 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 9 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
“We have responsibility to tackle the causes of climate change for the sake of people living in countries across the world,” she said.