MP Meg Hillier given Valentine’s card at Dalston Oxfam
The card asks the shadow secretary for energy and climate change to push for international climate change fund
MP for Hackney South Meg Hillier was presented with a giant Valentine’s Day card when she joined climate change campaigners during a clothes swap in a Dalston charity shop last week.
The card signed by local residents, and read: “I would like you to be my Valentine and show your love for the world.”
At the UN Climate Conference in December, world leaders agreed to create a green fund to help poor countries adapt to the effects of climate change – and governments must now confirm where the money will come from.
Local residents want Ms Hillier to use her influence as Shadow Secretary for Energy and Climate Change and ask the government how it proposes to finance the fund.
You may also want to watch:
As bargain-hunters surrendered, salvaged and swapped much-loved garments for the clothing exchange, they discussed the finance issue with their MP.
Ms Hillier acknowledged the importance to provide international climate finance for countries in need of help.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
“We have responsibility to tackle the causes of climate change for the sake of people living in countries across the world,” she said.