MP Meg Hillier given Valentine’s card at Dalston Oxfam
The card asks the shadow secretary for energy and climate change to push for international climate change fund
MP for Hackney South Meg Hillier was presented with a giant Valentine’s Day card when she joined climate change campaigners during a clothes swap in a Dalston charity shop last week.
The card signed by local residents, and read: “I would like you to be my Valentine and show your love for the world.”
At the UN Climate Conference in December, world leaders agreed to create a green fund to help poor countries adapt to the effects of climate change – and governments must now confirm where the money will come from.
Local residents want Ms Hillier to use her influence as Shadow Secretary for Energy and Climate Change and ask the government how it proposes to finance the fund.
You may also want to watch:
As bargain-hunters surrendered, salvaged and swapped much-loved garments for the clothing exchange, they discussed the finance issue with their MP.
Ms Hillier acknowledged the importance to provide international climate finance for countries in need of help.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 6 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 7 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant
“We have responsibility to tackle the causes of climate change for the sake of people living in countries across the world,” she said.