MP Meg Hillier slams ‘out of touch’ government over childcare consultation
Meg Hillier slammed the government this week for being “out of touch” and having “no respect” for parents and childminders.
The MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch made the complaint after the government scheduled a consultation period for child care reforms that coincided with the school summer holidays.
She said: “To open a consultation over the summer period when schools are closed and parents and child carers go on holiday shows ministers are out of touch and have no respect for hardworking parents and child carers.”
Ms Hillier championed Hackney childminders’ cause in parliament last month after they raised concerns that the recommendations of a government report on childcare could put children at risk and reduce their earnings.
It suggested that childminders should be able to look after five under-fives at once (rather than three currently) and should be registered and inspected through a private agency.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I have met with many Hackney parents and childminders over the last month who are very concerned about proposals to downgrade the status of childminders.
“The parents who I have spoken to want affordable child care of a decent quality and the regulation of child minders helps ensure this. Childminders are also proud of the professionalisation of their role.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
She has written to the Secretary of State for Education to ask the Childcare Commission to extend the deadline on its ‘call for evidence’ beyond August 31.