Mr Happy attempts London Marathon for children’s leukaemia charity
A Stoke Newington runner hopes to put a smile on the faces of young leukaemia sufferers when he attempts a record-breaking London Marathon – in a Mr Happy costume.
The 26-mile run will be all in a day’s work for Andy Jackson, who is entering the race as part of a staggering 1,000-mile dash down the length of the country for Children with Leukaemia. On Sunday, he hopes to break the Guinness World Record for ‘Fastest Book Character’ – currently just over four hours.
“Mr Happy just seemed to fit,” said the 26-year-old. “We want to put smiles on people’s faces. We thought Mr Bump was tempting fate a bit.”
Andy, of Manor Road, was diagnosed with leukaemia at the age of 18. With treatment he made a full recovery, but tragically lost his mother to bowel cancer just three days after he left hospital.
Now he hopes to raise �250,000 – the cost of the bone marrow transplant that saved his life – by running from John o’ Groat’s to Land’s End.
You may also want to watch:
“When I was diagnosed with leukaemia I was just about to go to university and suddenly I couldn’t,” he said. “Everyone else had organised a uni place or a gap year, so I got a bit bored.
“I had always wanted to run a marathon, and I thought it might be the only chance I would get.”
- 1 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 8 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
That marathon – two weeks before his bone marrow transplant – gave him the bug for running. Andy has now completed five marathons as Mr Men characters, raising �40,000.
By the time he reaches London, he will have run nearly 750 miles since leaving John o’ Groat’s at the end of February. He hopes to reach Land’s End at the start of May.
To sponsor Andy, visit http://www.mrhappyrunsbritain.org/.