Murder probe launched after stab death of man, 24, during ‘group fight’ in South Hackney
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched after a man was fatally stabbed during a group fight yesterday afternoon.
Scotland Yard said a “large crowd” gathered in Christie Road at the junction with Cassland Road after the man, 24, was attacked. They are now appealing for those people to come forward as witnesses.
The air ambulance and police officers rushed to the scene at 4.45pm and medics fought to save the man’s life, but he was pronounced dead there half an hour later.
One man who arrived at the scene shortly after the attack told the Gazette he had been stabbed through the heart.
“It was horrific,” he said. “All the colour drained from his face.
You may also want to watch:
“No one seemed to know who he was. People were saying it was a scuffle with a group of kids.
“That’s the fourth or fifth stabbing around here. Someone was stabbed on my doorstep in the summer.”
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 5 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
Det Ch Insp Jamie Piscopo from the Met’s murder squad urged witnesses to come forward.
“We understand the victim was involved in an altercation with a group before he was fatally attacked,” he said.
“Were you there? Did you see anything that can assist police?
“A large crowd had gathered shortly after the attack and following the victim collapsing in Christie Road. I would urgently appeal for those present to contact my team with information.”
A post-mortem will be carried out at Poplar Mortuary today at 2pm.
The man’s next of kin have been informed, but he has yet to be formally identified.
Anyone with information is asked to call 020 8345 3715 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.