Murder probe launched after stab death of man, 24, during ‘group fight’ in South Hackney
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched after a man was fatally stabbed during a group fight yesterday afternoon.
Scotland Yard said a “large crowd” gathered in Christie Road at the junction with Cassland Road after the man, 24, was attacked. They are now appealing for those people to come forward as witnesses.
The air ambulance and police officers rushed to the scene at 4.45pm and medics fought to save the man’s life, but he was pronounced dead there half an hour later.
One man who arrived at the scene shortly after the attack told the Gazette he had been stabbed through the heart.
“It was horrific,” he said. “All the colour drained from his face.
You may also want to watch:
“No one seemed to know who he was. People were saying it was a scuffle with a group of kids.
“That’s the fourth or fifth stabbing around here. Someone was stabbed on my doorstep in the summer.”
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
Det Ch Insp Jamie Piscopo from the Met’s murder squad urged witnesses to come forward.
“We understand the victim was involved in an altercation with a group before he was fatally attacked,” he said.
“Were you there? Did you see anything that can assist police?
“A large crowd had gathered shortly after the attack and following the victim collapsing in Christie Road. I would urgently appeal for those present to contact my team with information.”
A post-mortem will be carried out at Poplar Mortuary today at 2pm.
The man’s next of kin have been informed, but he has yet to be formally identified.
Anyone with information is asked to call 020 8345 3715 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.