Music man who sells vinyl from his Graham Road house to launch pop-up record store at Dalston pub
- Credit: Archant
People often have amazing ideas during drunken pub chats, or think they do – but not many wake up the next morning and act on them.
Benjamin Venus did. The music-mad university researcher was discussing his dream job over a pint one night in 2014, and by August Venus Vinyl had set up stall on Broadway Market.
After a year as perhaps the only UK market stall exclusively selling new vinyl, Benjamin found he didn’t have the time to progress the business and took the hard decision to instead focus on online sales.
The website, which Benjamin been running for two years now from his Graham Road home, is updated daily with new stock and has built a reputation as a go-to site for limited edition releases.
Now he has teamed up with his local, The Prince George in Parkholme Road, Dalston, to run a pop-up record shop – and it launches next week.
Benjamin explained: “We will be filling the room up with all the vast array of records we sell – including a host of limited edition records – which will easily be two or three times as much as we were able to get down to Broadway Market before.
“We are also going to be spinning vinyl all day like we did on the market, and will also have a listening corner for customers to listen to records that are maybe a bit too heavy or obscure to play to the room.
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 5 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 6 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 7 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 8 Teenage girls arrested after incident in Kingsland High Street
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
“To top it off, the kind folks at Hackney Brewery have supplied us with cans of their wonderful beer to give away free with every purchase while stocks last.
“We think it’s going to be a really great weekend and one which will be welcome to everyone. I mean, who doesn’t like the sound of the wonders of a record shop within the comforts of a cosy local pub?”
If all goes well the event could become a monthly thing – getting Benjamin closer to achieving his next dream of opening his own physical record store.
The pop-up record store runs from 1pm to 7pm on November 4 and 5 and under 18s can get in if they are with an adult. Click here for more information.