Music man who sells vinyl from his Graham Road house to launch pop-up record store at Dalston pub
- Credit: Archant
People often have amazing ideas during drunken pub chats, or think they do – but not many wake up the next morning and act on them.
Benjamin Venus did. The music-mad university researcher was discussing his dream job over a pint one night in 2014, and by August Venus Vinyl had set up stall on Broadway Market.
After a year as perhaps the only UK market stall exclusively selling new vinyl, Benjamin found he didn’t have the time to progress the business and took the hard decision to instead focus on online sales.
The website, which Benjamin been running for two years now from his Graham Road home, is updated daily with new stock and has built a reputation as a go-to site for limited edition releases.
Now he has teamed up with his local, The Prince George in Parkholme Road, Dalston, to run a pop-up record shop – and it launches next week.
You may also want to watch:
Benjamin explained: “We will be filling the room up with all the vast array of records we sell – including a host of limited edition records – which will easily be two or three times as much as we were able to get down to Broadway Market before.
“We are also going to be spinning vinyl all day like we did on the market, and will also have a listening corner for customers to listen to records that are maybe a bit too heavy or obscure to play to the room.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
“To top it off, the kind folks at Hackney Brewery have supplied us with cans of their wonderful beer to give away free with every purchase while stocks last.
“We think it’s going to be a really great weekend and one which will be welcome to everyone. I mean, who doesn’t like the sound of the wonders of a record shop within the comforts of a cosy local pub?”
If all goes well the event could become a monthly thing – getting Benjamin closer to achieving his next dream of opening his own physical record store.
The pop-up record store runs from 1pm to 7pm on November 4 and 5 and under 18s can get in if they are with an adult. Click here for more information.