Mustard FC claim Jack Morgan Cup
Entertaining final sees Chapel Old Boys finish runners-up for second consecutive year
Mustard FC secured their first piece of silverware for the season when they defeated Chapel Old Boys in the Jack Morgan Cup final.
Last season, Chapel, of Division Three, had to make do with a runners-up spot in the cup and so it proved once again as they were beaten 3-1 by their Division Two opponents.
In what was a very entertaining first half, Mustard took the lead after 20 minutes when they capitalised on a defensive mix-up before forcing an own goal.
The Division Two side then doubled their advantage moments later, when Greg Moorse-McDougall found the back of the net.
However, it wasn’t all one-way traffic in the first half, as Chapel captain Michael Nolan converted a penalty for his side with the last kick of the opening 45 minutes.
After the break, Chapel pressed their opponents looking for what would have been an equalising goal, but Mustard’s defence held firm.
- 1 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 2 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 3 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 4 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 5 2 men stabbed in 'row involving group' in Upper Clapton
- 6 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 7 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 10 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
And the Division Two side made sure of the cup win when Kieran Conway scored late in the second half.
Moorse-McDougall was awarded the Neils Sports Man of the Match award, thanks to his box-to-box display in Mustard’s midfield.
Both teams now look forward to completing their league fixtures, with possible promotions for both sides, while Mustard also have a Dickie Davies Cup semi-final against Black Meteors to prepare for.