‘My mum was my inspiration’ says Stoke Newington’s Paloma Faith
Songstress Paloma Faith has said her mum was her inspiration for success while growing up in Stoke Newington, as part of a children’s charity campaign.
Faith, who was raised by her mum in a house just off Stoke Newington Church Street, paid tribute to her role model in a video for Chance UK’s Big Influence scheme.
The star is backing the charity’s mentoring programme, bringing adult volunteers together with children with behavioural difficulties to encourage and support them.
She said: “My big influence was probably my mum and I think the reason why is because she came from nothing and she made something. She taught me that if you have got a dream or ambition, it doesn’t matter where you come from or what accent you’ve got, you can do it. She’s the one.”
Faith, 25, who is releasing her new single Smoke & Mirrors on Sunday (October 31), joins celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, comedienne Jo Brand and American singer and actor Nick Jonas in appearing in a video to support the Big Influence campaign, which runs until November 15.
You may also want to watch:
“At Chance UK, we know how important a positive role model can be for a child, and what a big difference it has made to these celebrities,” said Chance UK’s chief executive Gracia McGrath.
“They are urging others to be a big influence in the life of a child, and they can do just that by becoming a mentor for Chance UK.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
To watch the videos, or to find out more about the Big Influence campaign, go to www.biginfluence.co.uk.