‘My mum was my inspiration’ says Stoke Newington’s Paloma Faith
Songstress Paloma Faith has said her mum was her inspiration for success while growing up in Stoke Newington, as part of a children’s charity campaign.
Faith, who was raised by her mum in a house just off Stoke Newington Church Street, paid tribute to her role model in a video for Chance UK’s Big Influence scheme.
The star is backing the charity’s mentoring programme, bringing adult volunteers together with children with behavioural difficulties to encourage and support them.
She said: “My big influence was probably my mum and I think the reason why is because she came from nothing and she made something. She taught me that if you have got a dream or ambition, it doesn’t matter where you come from or what accent you’ve got, you can do it. She’s the one.”
Faith, 25, who is releasing her new single Smoke & Mirrors on Sunday (October 31), joins celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, comedienne Jo Brand and American singer and actor Nick Jonas in appearing in a video to support the Big Influence campaign, which runs until November 15.
You may also want to watch:
“At Chance UK, we know how important a positive role model can be for a child, and what a big difference it has made to these celebrities,” said Chance UK’s chief executive Gracia McGrath.
“They are urging others to be a big influence in the life of a child, and they can do just that by becoming a mentor for Chance UK.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
To watch the videos, or to find out more about the Big Influence campaign, go to www.biginfluence.co.uk.