Big winners at New City College student achievement awards night
- Credit: New City College
New City College held its annual student achievement awards, with high achievers across Redbridge, Havering, Tower Hamlets and Hackney recognised for their efforts.
Hosted by Miranda Gay, senior safeguarding and enrichment manager at the Hackney campus, the virtual ceremony was streamed live on Wednesday, January 27 from Hornchurch's Ardleigh Green campus.
Attended by special guest - former footballer turned pundit - Alex Scott MBE, the evening saw 28 awards given out, with special recognition reserved for six students.
Havering campus student Miles Hayward was crowned both 14-16 student of the year and Stem student of the year.
Mum Samantha said: "The live-stream meant that the whole family were able to watch and enjoy it. Even Miles’ nan, who has been unwell and in bed, was able to see it and it really made her smile.
You may also want to watch:
"We are so grateful to New City College for all the hard work that went into this virtual presentation evening."
Fellow Havering campus students Elijah and Marcus Chiemeke-Eneso, 18, brought home the student ambassadors of the year award.
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 Boat party organiser pleads guilty to breaking Covid rules during lockdown
- 3 All Points East: Meet east London artist Olivia Dean
- 4 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 5 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 10 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
The twins, from Ilford, were also given the special recognition of the group principal’s award for contributing to college life.
The 18-year-old pair said: “We have never won an award in our lives so this is a dream come true. We were so proud and happy that Alex Scott presented the award to us.
"It was quite emotional and even our brother in Finland was able to watch. We love the college and are really grateful to NCC.”
A Q&A with Alex was among the night's highlights, as Tottenham Hotspur football development programme students Eve Pearson and Esha Bhullar quizzed the former Arsenal player on her journey to date.
The winning students received a certificate, glass trophy and an awards party box to maximise the home-watching experience.
CEO and group principal Gerry McDonald said: “Our awards event was a superb showcase of achievements from across New City College during the most interesting and challenging of years.
Events like this are so important to show the world what we do as a college and the online format allowed just that."
He concluded by thanking everyone whose contribution makes New City College "such an incredible organisation filled with hope, resilience and success".