New photographs of Olympic Handball Arena in Hackney Wick
The latest photographs of the Olympic Handball Arena in Hackney Wick show the venue taking shape ready for the 2012 Games.
The images, which were taken this week, show that the sustainably-sourced copper roof is complete and more than half of the 6,500 multicoloured seats in are place.
A new webcam filming inside the arena also gives regular updates on the project.
The venue, which organisers say is on track for completion in the spring, has been wrapped in 3,000sq metres of copper.
It will host the men’s and women’s preliminary stages and the women’s quarter finals of the handball competition and the fencing discipline in the modern pentathlon during London’s Olympic Games. Goalball, which sees two teams of three aiming to score goals by rolling a ball into the opposition’s net, will be held there during the Paralympics.
You may also want to watch:
John Armitt, chairman of the Olympic Delivery Authority, said: “The Handball Arena is one of the most compact on the Olympic Park, with legacy and sustainability very much integrated into the design process.
“Progress is moving ahead at an impressive rate, with over half of the seats already in place and work underway of installing the sprung wooden floor.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 8 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
After the Games, the arena will seat 7,500 spectators for a range of events, from international competitions to community sports such as basketball, badminton and boxing. A health and fitness club with changing rooms and a cafe are also planned.