New Speaker appointed for Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Hackney’s longest-serving councillor, Sharon Patrick, has been bestowed the honour of Madam Speaker for the second time.
Cllr Patrick, who has served on the Council for nearly 26 years, already held the year-long post 12 years ago, and replaces Cllr Michael Desmond.
She said: “Being the Speaker of Hackney is the best job in the business and I’m delighted and honoured to be given the chance to do it again.
During her term she will be raising money for the Laburnum Boat Club, based on the Regent’s Canal, which helps the personal development of young people, including some with disabilities.
The 57-year-old mum-of-three will also raise money for The Sharp End, a fitness and friendship support group for over-50s in the borough, and The Alzheimer’s Society, a cause close to Cllr Patrick’s heart following the death of her mother from the disease.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Patrick’s first engagement saw her welcome 60 of Hackney’s newest official residents during a citizenship ceremony in the town hall.
She said: “I loved it and can’t wait to do more of them. Hackney has always been a place that is open to everyone and where no-one is excluded.”
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park