New Speaker appointed for Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Hackney’s longest-serving councillor, Sharon Patrick, has been bestowed the honour of Madam Speaker for the second time.
Cllr Patrick, who has served on the Council for nearly 26 years, already held the year-long post 12 years ago, and replaces Cllr Michael Desmond.
She said: “Being the Speaker of Hackney is the best job in the business and I’m delighted and honoured to be given the chance to do it again.
During her term she will be raising money for the Laburnum Boat Club, based on the Regent’s Canal, which helps the personal development of young people, including some with disabilities.
The 57-year-old mum-of-three will also raise money for The Sharp End, a fitness and friendship support group for over-50s in the borough, and The Alzheimer’s Society, a cause close to Cllr Patrick’s heart following the death of her mother from the disease.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Patrick’s first engagement saw her welcome 60 of Hackney’s newest official residents during a citizenship ceremony in the town hall.
She said: “I loved it and can’t wait to do more of them. Hackney has always been a place that is open to everyone and where no-one is excluded.”
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 3 Hackney Downs anti-vax camp cost £50,000 to remove
- 4 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 5 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 6 Mosaic unveiled near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
- 7 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 8 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 9 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 10 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London