New Speaker appointed for Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Hackney’s longest-serving councillor, Sharon Patrick, has been bestowed the honour of Madam Speaker for the second time.
Cllr Patrick, who has served on the Council for nearly 26 years, already held the year-long post 12 years ago, and replaces Cllr Michael Desmond.
She said: “Being the Speaker of Hackney is the best job in the business and I’m delighted and honoured to be given the chance to do it again.
During her term she will be raising money for the Laburnum Boat Club, based on the Regent’s Canal, which helps the personal development of young people, including some with disabilities.
The 57-year-old mum-of-three will also raise money for The Sharp End, a fitness and friendship support group for over-50s in the borough, and The Alzheimer’s Society, a cause close to Cllr Patrick’s heart following the death of her mother from the disease.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Patrick’s first engagement saw her welcome 60 of Hackney’s newest official residents during a citizenship ceremony in the town hall.
She said: “I loved it and can’t wait to do more of them. Hackney has always been a place that is open to everyone and where no-one is excluded.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Hackney CEO to retire after 40 years in local government