New Speaker appointed for Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Hackney’s longest-serving councillor, Sharon Patrick, has been bestowed the honour of Madam Speaker for the second time.
Cllr Patrick, who has served on the Council for nearly 26 years, already held the year-long post 12 years ago, and replaces Cllr Michael Desmond.
She said: “Being the Speaker of Hackney is the best job in the business and I’m delighted and honoured to be given the chance to do it again.
During her term she will be raising money for the Laburnum Boat Club, based on the Regent’s Canal, which helps the personal development of young people, including some with disabilities.
The 57-year-old mum-of-three will also raise money for The Sharp End, a fitness and friendship support group for over-50s in the borough, and The Alzheimer’s Society, a cause close to Cllr Patrick’s heart following the death of her mother from the disease.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Patrick’s first engagement saw her welcome 60 of Hackney’s newest official residents during a citizenship ceremony in the town hall.
She said: “I loved it and can’t wait to do more of them. Hackney has always been a place that is open to everyone and where no-one is excluded.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney