New Speaker for Hackney
Hackney councillors have elected Jessica Webb as the borough’s new Speaker.
She will take over as Speaker from Susan Fajana-Thomas as Hackney’s civic representative for the next year to welcome visitors to the borough, chair council meetings and raise money for local charities.
As Wick ward councillor for over a decade and Deputy Speaker for the last year, Cllr Webb is excited about carrying out the role of Speaker in a truly “international year” for the borough, and the opportunities that come with the 2012 Games.
“I feel really privileged to be taking on the role of Speaker in a year when we can show the world what a fantastic borough we live in,” said Cllr Webb who has two children who attend Gainsborough School in Berkshire Road.
She has chosen human rights charity Amnesty International and HIV charity Positive East as the two charities to support during her term as Speaker.
You may also want to watch:
To ask the Speaker to attend an event call 020 8356 3350 or email email@example.com.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director