New Speaker for Hackney
Hackney councillors have elected Jessica Webb as the borough’s new Speaker.
She will take over as Speaker from Susan Fajana-Thomas as Hackney’s civic representative for the next year to welcome visitors to the borough, chair council meetings and raise money for local charities.
As Wick ward councillor for over a decade and Deputy Speaker for the last year, Cllr Webb is excited about carrying out the role of Speaker in a truly “international year” for the borough, and the opportunities that come with the 2012 Games.
“I feel really privileged to be taking on the role of Speaker in a year when we can show the world what a fantastic borough we live in,” said Cllr Webb who has two children who attend Gainsborough School in Berkshire Road.
She has chosen human rights charity Amnesty International and HIV charity Positive East as the two charities to support during her term as Speaker.
You may also want to watch:
To ask the Speaker to attend an event call 020 8356 3350 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding