News flashback: Our pick of Hackney’s headlines from June 1956 and 1986
- Credit: Archant
Every week the Gazette will delve into its archives to see what was happening in Hackney 30 and 60 years ago.
30 years ago
An Old Bailey judge hailed a have-a-go hero who tried to catch a bank robber but was blasted in the face by a shotgun and blinded. Judge James Miskin praised Andrew Douglas for his attempts to stop Paul Ross following a raid in Stoke Newington High Street. He called him “incredibly brave”... and awarded him £200.
Medical staff were set to vote on whether Homerton Hospital would open on time after accusing the authority behind the £17million hospital of going back on its word over the tendering process.
60 years ago
You may also want to watch:
Labour celebrated a clean sweep in four borough council by-elections in Hackney and Stoke Newington.
The polls had been sparked by “aldermanic elevations”. Hackney, of course, no longer has aldermen.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Two Hackney secretaries returned from America having fulfilled their dreams.
Norma Cayman, 25, of Hackney Central, and Doreen Jacobs, 26, of Stamford Hill, went to work in America with just a few pounds each to their name.
But, the Gazette reported, they were the “centre of attraction” in New York and were showered with jobs offers in TV and radio.
The two women travelled the country, turning down marriage proposals in every town, and even spent time at a millionaire’s ranch in Las Vegas.