NIMBY fly-poster feud breaks out in De Beauvoir
- Credit: Archant
A fly-poster feud has broken out in one of Hackney’s most affluent roads as neighbours have labelled objectors to a deep basement excavation “mean-spirited nimbys”.
A proposal for a basement under a grade II-listed house in Northchurch Terrace, which would be the first for the De Beauvoir conservation area, is currently under consultation.
Several residents have said they fear if the deep excavation goes ahead it could set a precedent for similar developments in the future.
Similar applications have previously been much more common in west London boroughs such as Camden and Kensington and Chelsea, where some neighbouring home owners have reported cracks in their walls and weakening foundations.
In 2008, a basement excavation in a terrace house in Hackney’s Brownswood ward weakened the foundations and tenants were evacuated as an emergency with their possessions having to be lifted out in the following weeks by crane.
You may also want to watch:
Concerned neighbours Michael and Esther Rank have put up posters encouraging others to object to the current proposal at number 42, which also includes a two-storey extension at the rear of the property, writing: “The more objections the better!”
They add: “This is against Hackney’s own rules as the sub-basement will have next to no natural light to make it habitable and will include a light well which is not acceptable in conservation areas like De Beauvoir. All this work will cause a huge amount of noise and disturbance for months if not years.”
- 1 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 2 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 3 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 4 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Mural competition launched for Homerton green corridor
- 7 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
- 8 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 9 No queues or check outs at Dalston's new Amazon Fresh store
- 10 Cargo bike sharing comes to Stoke Newington, London Fields and Shoreditch
But Martin Durkin, who lives at number 48, launched a pro-excavation poster campaign in response, stating: “There is a mean-spirited campaign to stop the good folk of No. 42 from building down.
“If you’re so averse to a few builders, London is not a sensible place to live.
“It is outrageous that the lovely people at No. 42 should be told what they can and can’t have in their own home.”
He continued: “It is argued that the basement might undermine the foundations of adjoining houses. Even if this were true (and I suspect it is utter codswallop) it’s a matter for No. 42 and their immediate neighbours.
“The character of a neighbourhood is formed not by the houses but by the people, I would hope that those in this street are not so small-minded and petty as to support this unpleasant campaign.”
Thomas Aisling from No. 42 declined to comment.
Hackney Council’s consultation over the development ends next Friday.