OAP’s fight to stay in Hoxton home of 22 years
- Credit: Archant
A pensioner has been left in limbo for more than three years after his partner went into a care home and the council threatened him with eviction.
Daniel O’Connor, 65, who is in remission from cancer and suffers with heart problems, moved into his home on the Charles Square Estate, off Charles Square, Shoreditch, in 1992 with his partner Rose Philips, who went into a care home in 2011 due to severe dementia.
But despite being informed of Ms Philips’ move, Hackney Homes continued to take the rent from her account until funds ran out in May this year, at which point letters addressed to her were sent to the property terminating her tenancy and asking for arrears in rent.
It then came to light that Mr O’Connor’s name was never put on the tenancy agreement on the flat where he has lived for 22 years.
Since then he has been locked in a dispute with Hackney Homes, which claims it has no record of him living there, despite Mr O’Connor having proof of residency in bank statements and medical letters.
You may also want to watch:
Mr O’Connor, who cannot pay the rent on the property unless it is in his name, said: “They have been told she [Ms Philips] has been living in a care home for the past three years. All I am looking for is that they transfer the property in my name. Why is it taking so long?”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Neighbour Paul McDonald, who has been helping Mr O’Connor due to his ill health, said: “A Hackney Homes representative repeatedly promised that the tenancy would be transferred to him in phone conversations, but Mr O’Connor is still waiting for written confirmation.”
“As far as I am concerned, our housing management has time and time again shown itself to be monumentally incompetent.
“This matter has been dragging on and throughout this time there’s been nothing but a litany of broken promises and total inertia.”
After the Gazette contacted the council about the matter, Hackney Homes issued another letter last week saying that it had recommended a “discretionary tenancy” of the property which would allow him to stay, but a decision had still not been made.