OBE for Hackney boy turned Hollywood star Idris Elba
- Credit: Press Association
Hackney born star Idris Elba is among those honoured by the Queen in the New Year honours list.
He has described his OBE for services to drama as “beyond special”.
He said: “Awards and honours come in all shapes and sizes and all as significant as the other.
“But this is beyond special as it comes from Queen and country, and I couldn’t be more proud for receiving this right now. What a year.”
The 43-year-old rose to fame in American crime drama The Wire and has most recently appeared on the small screen in hit BBC drama Luther.
You may also want to watch:
The OBE caps of a memorable year for the East London star which has seen him receive two Golden Globe nominations.
Acting aside, Elba has a successful music career and is a well-respected DJ.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
In June, Elba returned to his Hackney roots to host a version of his iconic 7 Wallace club night in the upstairs of Oslo in Armhurst Road.
The Hackney boy turned Hollywood star also returned to the borough with his dad back in 2011 to open an affordable housing project named in recognition of his achievements.