Old Street crash: woman cyclist critically ill
A female cyclist has been seriously injured after being involved in a collision with a lorry at the Old Street roundabout in Shoreditch during rush hour this morning (February 24).
Paramedics treated the woman after the crash, which happened shortly before 7.45am.
She was taken to the Royal London Hospital suffering injuries to her head, chest and pelvis.
Two bicycles can be seen leaning on railings at the side of the road and two cycling helmets along with clothes and shoes are scattered on the tarmac on the east side of the roundabout.
A large ‘for hire’ construction truck is parked nearby.
You may also want to watch:
Police officers have cordonned off surrounding roads as they investigate.
Old Street is closed and traffic is queuing westbound between the Great Eastern Street junction and Old Street roundabout. Congestion is also affecting City Road and the A11 from Braham Street to the Commercial Road.
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 4 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
Join the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign by going to the homepage and clicking on the campaign logo.