Old Street crash: woman cyclist critically ill
A female cyclist has been seriously injured after being involved in a collision with a lorry at the Old Street roundabout in Shoreditch during rush hour this morning (February 24).
Paramedics treated the woman after the crash, which happened shortly before 7.45am.
She was taken to the Royal London Hospital suffering injuries to her head, chest and pelvis.
Two bicycles can be seen leaning on railings at the side of the road and two cycling helmets along with clothes and shoes are scattered on the tarmac on the east side of the roundabout.
A large ‘for hire’ construction truck is parked nearby.
You may also want to watch:
Police officers have cordonned off surrounding roads as they investigate.
Old Street is closed and traffic is queuing westbound between the Great Eastern Street junction and Old Street roundabout. Congestion is also affecting City Road and the A11 from Braham Street to the Commercial Road.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
Join the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign by going to the homepage and clicking on the campaign logo.