Old Street crash: woman cyclist critically ill
A female cyclist has been seriously injured after being involved in a collision with a lorry at the Old Street roundabout in Shoreditch during rush hour this morning (February 24).
Paramedics treated the woman after the crash, which happened shortly before 7.45am.
She was taken to the Royal London Hospital suffering injuries to her head, chest and pelvis.
Two bicycles can be seen leaning on railings at the side of the road and two cycling helmets along with clothes and shoes are scattered on the tarmac on the east side of the roundabout.
A large ‘for hire’ construction truck is parked nearby.
Police officers have cordonned off surrounding roads as they investigate.
Old Street is closed and traffic is queuing westbound between the Great Eastern Street junction and Old Street roundabout. Congestion is also affecting City Road and the A11 from Braham Street to the Commercial Road.
- 1 Hackney high streets to get funding boost
- 2 Man 'threw toolbox' at woman's head at Overground station
- 3 Met officer sacked for concealing proceeds of husband's crimes
- 4 Video shows jewellers in Stamford Hill robbed twice in two months
- 5 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Pay cut decision overturned after council worker strike
- 8 First-of-its-kind De Beauvoir event brings women and the police together
- 9 'We're sorry': Hackney Council apologises after pandemic repairs backlog
- 10 Dedicated police team set up for Shoreditch Town Centre
Join the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign by going to the homepage and clicking on the campaign logo.