Oldest cyclist in Capital to Coast ride comes from Hackney
Norman Bright cycled a phenomenal 75 miles on Sunday for charity
Health officials would have us believe folk from Hackney are an unhealthy bunch.
But Norman Bright proved them all wrong on Sunday.
The 75-year old from Stamford Hill rode a phenomenal 75 miles and was the eldest cyclist in the Capital to Coast charity cycle ride from London to Brighton.
“It took me a bloomin long time, there were so many hills I couldn’t believe it, and so many people,” said Norman who lives in Ajex House sheltered housing in East Bank.
You may also want to watch:
His greatest challenge of the route was beauty spot Box Hill, which at over 200 metres is one of the highest hills in the south of England.
“When you get to the top, if you take a photo you think you are in the Alps,” he said.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 6 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
“I was going downhill at 40mph, you would think you were part of the Tour de France, there’s a whole series of hairpin bends.
“I think you have to be reasonably fit to do these mad things,” added Norman who was cycle racing and playing tennis again a couple of days later.
Norman wants to raise money for charity Road peace, a national charity for road crash victims.
“People are maimed on the road every day but just don’t get any justice.”
“Cyclists are like fragile birds and motorists are like huge tanks with all guns blazing,” he said.