Olivier Giroud’s excited about China trip, but his future remains an Arsenal mystery
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
France international has been linked with Everton, AC Milan, West Ham and Marseille in recent weeks
With Arsenal set to play their second pre-season friendly in China on Saturday against Chelsea, Olivier Giroud has called his visit to the country a ‘new adventure’.
The 30-year-old was absent during the north London giants’ previous trip to Beijing five years ago as his representatives and the club were putting the finishing touches on the paperwork involving his move from Montpellier.
But the forward, who has struck 98 league and cup goals for Arsene Wenger’s men since he signed on the dotted line, has been recalling his last trip to Asia.
Speaking to Arsenal Player, he explained: “I remember when we landed in Vietnam it was maybe 5am in the morning so I was so impressed by their welcome.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people welcomed us at the airport and I was so surprised by the fact kids were playing football at 5am on a pitch. When we go to Asia, people are amazing and they show their unconditional support. It’s always a pleasure to meet them.
“I’ve been a few times in Asia with Arsenal. I’ve been in Japan, in Vietnam and Indonesia.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
“But I’ve never been to China [previously], so it’s going to be a new adventure for us and me. It’s a new experience. Everything that is new in my life is very exciting.”
The striker has conceded his Arsenal future is in doubt following the Gunners’ club-record deal to land Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon for £53 million – yet it remains unclear which team Giroud will be playing for during the fast-approaching 2017-18 season.
It is believed suitors Everton are interested in obtaining his signature as a replacement for Romelu Lukaku who signed for rivals Manchester United in a record £75m dead.
However, they are concerned the Frenchman does not see them as his first choice, with AC Milan, West Ham and Marseille also reported to be keen on purchasing the forward.
It has been rumoured Borussia Dortmund were keen on the Arsenal man, but only if their star striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang departed the Westfalenstadion.
However, the Bundesliga side, coached by Peter Bosz, are said to have reservations about meeting a high valuation of the player who will be 31 in two months time and Aubameyang is now expected to remain with Dortmund.