Olympian backs sports scheme for Hackney women
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Long jump Olympics star, Jade Johnson has supported a new campaign that features free taster classes for Hackney women and girls aged 14 and above.
The For the Girls programme offers ladies who fancy getting sporty to drop in to the women-only free classes hosted by the council tomorrow.
Football, netball, badminton and exercise classes are some of the activities available to hone your skills or learn something new.
Jade said: “The events are really fun and inspirational. It is so important for women and girls to take part in exercise. It helps you get fit but also socialise and improve your confidence.”
The sessions will take place from 3:30pm until 8pm at Clissold Leisure Centre, in Clissold Road, as part of the For the Girls programme which is aimed at motivating women and girls aged 14 and above to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for health, social care and culture, said: “Whether you’ve got out of the habit of exercising or you just want to try something totally new, then come along to our free sessions.
“You can try your hand at a game of netball, practice your striking and dribbling with a football taster, or work up a sweat in our group exercise classes. There’s bound to be something that’s right for you.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
There will also be refreshments and crèche facilities on a first come, first served basis.