Olympic Park to get its own postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given its own postcode district, Royal Mail chiefs have announced.
The Games site on the fringes of Hackney Wick has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in TV’s EastEnders.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST.
More than 100 postcodes, which cover up to 99 addresses, have already been allocated in the E20 district.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the Capital.”
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.