Olympic Park to get its own postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given its own postcode district, Royal Mail chiefs have announced.
The Games site on the fringes of Hackney Wick has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in TV’s EastEnders.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST.
More than 100 postcodes, which cover up to 99 addresses, have already been allocated in the E20 district.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the Capital.”
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.