Olympic Park to get its own postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given its own postcode district, Royal Mail chiefs have announced.
The Games site on the fringes of Hackney Wick has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in TV’s EastEnders.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST.
More than 100 postcodes, which cover up to 99 addresses, have already been allocated in the E20 district.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the Capital.”
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.