Olympic torch carrier appeal
HACKNEY residents are invited to enter into the spirit of the Olympics and nominate someone who would light up the event as a torch bearer next year.
Hackney MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott have a chance to choose their candidates for the job but they are asking neighbours to put pen to paper too.
Nationally 8,000 people as young as 12 will get the chance to carry the coveted torch as it tours the length and breadth of Britain.
Ms Abbott said: “If you know anyone you think deserves to have this honour let us know.”
To take part residents are asked to send the name of their nominee with their contact details along with 100-150 words telling their story and why they deserve to be nominated.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Hillier added: “It’s such a huge task it seems only right that Hackney residents should have their say.”
Write to Diane Abbott or Meg Hillier at the House of Commons, London, SW1A OAA.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers