Olympic torch carrier appeal
HACKNEY residents are invited to enter into the spirit of the Olympics and nominate someone who would light up the event as a torch bearer next year.
Hackney MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott have a chance to choose their candidates for the job but they are asking neighbours to put pen to paper too.
Nationally 8,000 people as young as 12 will get the chance to carry the coveted torch as it tours the length and breadth of Britain.
Ms Abbott said: “If you know anyone you think deserves to have this honour let us know.”
To take part residents are asked to send the name of their nominee with their contact details along with 100-150 words telling their story and why they deserve to be nominated.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Hillier added: “It’s such a huge task it seems only right that Hackney residents should have their say.”
Write to Diane Abbott or Meg Hillier at the House of Commons, London, SW1A OAA.
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted