Olympic torch carrier appeal
HACKNEY residents are invited to enter into the spirit of the Olympics and nominate someone who would light up the event as a torch bearer next year.
Hackney MPs Meg Hillier and Diane Abbott have a chance to choose their candidates for the job but they are asking neighbours to put pen to paper too.
Nationally 8,000 people as young as 12 will get the chance to carry the coveted torch as it tours the length and breadth of Britain.
Ms Abbott said: “If you know anyone you think deserves to have this honour let us know.”
To take part residents are asked to send the name of their nominee with their contact details along with 100-150 words telling their story and why they deserve to be nominated.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Hillier added: “It’s such a huge task it seems only right that Hackney residents should have their say.”
Write to Diane Abbott or Meg Hillier at the House of Commons, London, SW1A OAA.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney