Lewis Johnson: Inquest into death of Holloway teenager killed in scooter crash delayed by nearly a year

The IPPC are investigating the death of a teenage moped rider after a police chase on Upper Clapton

The IPPC are investigating the death of a teenage moped rider after a police chase on Upper Clapton Road - Credit: Archant

The inquest into the death of Lewis Johnson in Clapton Common has been delayed by nearly a year, after the planned inquest has been postponed.

The coroner’s investigation into the 18-year-old’s death was set to start on Monday and run for three weeks, with a jury present.

However the inquest has been pulled from the schedule, and the Gazette has been told it will now start nearly twelve months later, on September 9 2019. No reason has been given by the Inner North London coroner’s service for the delay. The hearings will take place more than three and a half years since he died.

Mr Johnson, who was a former pupil at St Aloysius College, off Archway Road, was killed when the moped he was driving smashed into a van on February 9 2016. He, and his pillion passenger Louis Kyriacou, were being chased by police after a smash-and-grab robbery in Kingsland Road.

Kyriacou, of Pentonville Road, Islington, was found with five phones on him and was jailed for 10 months in November 2016 after admitting stealing them.

You may also want to watch:

The Independent Office of Police Complaint (IOPC) made a referral to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to consider criminal charges against the two officers for driving offences, and against one officer for misconduct in public office. However the CPS decided not to take any action.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus