Lewis Johnson: Inquest into death of Holloway teenager killed in scooter crash delayed by nearly a year
- Credit: Archant
The inquest into the death of Lewis Johnson in Clapton Common has been delayed by nearly a year, after the planned inquest has been postponed.
The coroner’s investigation into the 18-year-old’s death was set to start on Monday and run for three weeks, with a jury present.
However the inquest has been pulled from the schedule, and the Gazette has been told it will now start nearly twelve months later, on September 9 2019. No reason has been given by the Inner North London coroner’s service for the delay. The hearings will take place more than three and a half years since he died.
Mr Johnson, who was a former pupil at St Aloysius College, off Archway Road, was killed when the moped he was driving smashed into a van on February 9 2016. He, and his pillion passenger Louis Kyriacou, were being chased by police after a smash-and-grab robbery in Kingsland Road.
Kyriacou, of Pentonville Road, Islington, was found with five phones on him and was jailed for 10 months in November 2016 after admitting stealing them.
You may also want to watch:
The Independent Office of Police Complaint (IOPC) made a referral to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to consider criminal charges against the two officers for driving offences, and against one officer for misconduct in public office. However the CPS decided not to take any action.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 6 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 7 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant