One year on: family hold service and vigil for Joseph Burke-Monerville and appeal for information on killers
PUBLISHED: 14:18 18 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:18 18 February 2014
Nearly 200 people attended a memorial service and vigil to mark one year since the fatal shooting of a Nigerian prince, as police stepped up their hunt for the killers.
Family members, Islington MP Emily Thornberry and the Mayor of Hackney Jules Pipe were among those who attended the service for Canonbury teen Joseph Burke-Monerville at St-John-at-Hackney church in Lower Clapton Road, Clapton on Sunday.
A vigil was also held in nearby Clarence Road immediately after the service and a minute of silence observed at the exact time of the shooting in Hindrey Road.
Mr Burke-Monerville was shot through the head in a suspected case of mistaken identity while he was in a parked car with his older brother David, 33, and twin brother Jonathan outside a shop, after two boys approached the vehicle asking if they were from “Pembury”.
Police said they hope allegiances may have changed since the killing.
Det Ch Insp Shelia Stewart, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “I am hoping that with the passage of time allegiances may have changed and those who did not engage with us at the time of the incident are now in a position to do so.”
Rector of Hackney, Father Rob Wickham, who lead the memorial service, said: “The service was very moving. It was very reflective. The key things said were standing with parents John and Linda Burke-Monerville and offering support, solidarity and love.
“It was also about encouraging the local community to come forward and share what they know.”
Days before the service, the family appealed for people “shielding” the killers to come forward.
Father John Burke-Monerville said: “The pain is too much to go through. Every day the pain gets stronger. We sit back and hope for justice. We need people in the community to talk and help the authorities give us closure on this. There are those who live in the community who are shielding these boys.”
Mrs Burke- Monerville said: “The last year’s been very difficult. It’s been awful. There’s no words to qualify how we feel. We are still in limbo.
“Please, please, please I’m pleading with you to find it in your hearts to come forward and help justice to be achieved for my boy, also to prevent another mother and another family to have their hearts torn out like mine.”
n Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3985.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.