Orient’s first pre-season friendly ‘marred’ by red cards
Slade left disappointed with referee’s decisions in 3-1 win at Braintree
Orient boss Russell Slade was disappointed that his side’s opening pre-season game at Braintree on Monday was “marred” by two red cards, writes Kirk Blows.
The O’s enjoyed a 3-1 win against the Blue Square Bet Premier outfit, with trialist Kieran Djilali scoring twice in the second half.
But Jimmy Smith was sent off for a handball which resulted in the penalty from which Braintree opened the scoring.
And Matt Paine then received his marching orders for the home side after conceding a spot-kick, which Dean Cox failed to convert.
Both decisions left the Orient manager somewhat underwhelmed.
Slade said: “The game was marred by the two sending-offs.
- 1 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 4 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 5 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 6 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 7 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 8 The three strikes and protests hitting Hackney this week
- 9 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 10 Pole thrown on railway tracks 'caused over 11 hours of delays'
“It wasn’t an ideal situation having 10 versus 10 for the entire second half.
“I thought the referee could have used his discretion and applied a bit more common-sense.
“Jimmy did handle but the ball went into the net anyway, so why not just give a goal and get on with the game?
“It wasn’t a competitive game, just a pre-season friendly and that’s what it was, a friendly.”
Jai Reason’s opener for the hosts was eventually wiped out by Jonathan Tehoue just before the break.
And Djilali, one of four trialists introduced for the O’s as Slade made nine half-time changes, did his cause the world of good by scoring twice to secure the victory.
The former Crystal Palace midfielder found the top right-hand corner after 51 minutes to give the visitors the lead, after the ball fell to him just inside the area.
And he wrapped up the win six minutes later when he latched onto a pass from Moses Odubajo and delicately chipped home over the advancing keeper.
Former Portsmouth midfielder Tom Kilbey, Argentine Agustin Battipiedi and ex-Hamilton defender Dave Buchanan also made outings for the O’s.
But Slade was refusing to give too much away in terms of his decisions.
He said: “These players have just had 45 minutes of pre-season football so you can’t make too many judgements on that.
“But Kieran certainly took his goals well.”
Orient: Butcher (Lovelock, HT), McSweeney (Odubajo, HT), Cuthbert (Cestor, HT), Omozusi, Daniels (Buchanan, HT), Spring (Laird, HT), Dawson (Kilbey, HT), Smith, Cox (Battipiedi, HT), Revell (Porter, HT), Tehoue (Djilali, HT).