A-level results day 2018: Our Lady’s Convent High School student bags place at University of Oxford
- Credit: Archant
A University of Oxford-bound student has praised her ‘inspirational’ English teacher on A-level results day.
Jenna Colaco, who bagged three As in classical civilisation, English literature and history, will be reading Classics and English.
“My seven years at Our Lady’s has certainly gone quickly,” she said. “It seems so bizarre to actually be leaving school and leaving home.
“I’ve had the privilege of some wonderful teachers who inspired me greatly, especially my English teacher Mrs Detain. I’ve really loved studying Shakespeare and Chaucer as well as classical texts such as the Iliad and Aeneid, it helped reaffirm my choice of studying literature to degree level.”
The school picked out several other star performers including Diana Sufaj (A*,B and C in English Literature, Fine Art and History), Marie Tighe (A* and A for English Literature and Fine Art and a merit in health and social care) and Mandy Tan (two A*s and an A in biology, chemistry and maths), who will be studying medicine at UCL.
You may also want to watch:
Mary Karayel received an A*, an A a B in English literature, geography and politics, and A* for her extended project in ‘How Disney changed the Grimm fairy tales’. She will be studying English at York University and wants to go into either publishing or journalism.
Angela Takyi bagged two As and two Bs in history, politics, sociology and extended project. She will be studying law at Brunel.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12