Parkers Pets could wind up after 43 years trading in Stoke Newington
- Credit: google
A family-owned pet shop that has been trading in Stoke Newington High Street for 43 years will wind up in March if the owners can’t find affordable premises elsewhere.
Albert Parker founded Parker’s Pets in 1975 and it is now run by his sons Mike and Jeff.
While they don’t sell any mammals, they do sell live tropical and coldwater fish and “anything you need for your pet”, like pet food, accessories, toys, leads, beds and bowls.
The pair sold the freehold to the premises two years ago, and had an arrangement with the freeholder to remain until now. The Gazette understands the owner now wants to convert the shop into a restaurant.
Mike told the Gazette: “Our time has come to an end, because he feels he can get a higher rental income elsewhere.”
You may also want to watch:
Mike and Jeff – who also run a reptile and aquatic shop in Romford and a kennels in Harlow – have been looking unsuccessfully for another shop locally in the meantime.
But they haven’t found anything they can afford.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Mike added: “We are disappointed.
“We have loyal regular customers and they are disappointed too.
“They want us to find somewhere else because there isn’t really another local pet shop in the locality, so we are still looking around to see if we can find something suitable.
“We want to carry on the business in the area if we can find something at the right price.”
Do you have memories of Parker’s Pets? Send them in – the best could feature on our letters page.