Party in the Park’s annual success
- Credit: Archant
A compere dressed as a pirate, complete with parrot and eye patch, was a surprise hit at the annual Party in the Park at the weekend.
Families enjoyed music and three hours of fun and activities as the De Beauvoir Association staged its latest annual party to bring the community together in De Beauvoir Square on Saturday.
Four face painters worked flat out to decorate children and hula hoopers and a steel band provided entertainment.
Actor Rob Pomfret who recently played Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre at the Rosemary Branch pub theatre, took on the part of the one-eyed nautical character.
Firefighters from Shoreditch were another favourite as children played with hoses and sprayed each other, and a bouncy castle was in constant use. A free book and toy for every child, a key feature of the event, was made possible thanks to generous gifts from local people.
Paul Bolding, one of the organisers, said: “A huge team of volunteers worked hard in advance and on the day to make it happen.
“We were lucky to have fantastic weather this year and the fire hoses were a fantastic way for the children to cool down. Everyone seems to have had a great time and we have had lots of messages of thanks from families who came.”
- 1 Hackney strip bar could lose license after breaching Covid rules
- 2 More details emerge on antisemitic attack in Stamford Hill
- 3 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 4 'Nail-biting situation': Hundreds of Homerton's staff at risk of dismissal over Covid vaccines
- 5 Hackney mum and brain tumour patient to walk for charity dressed as duck
- 6 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 7 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 8 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 9 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 10 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
Children’s activities were free thanks to donations from businesses.