Passing Clouds meeting to influence G8 agenda
A meeting to discuss how to bring the scandal of global hunger to the attention of world leaders at the G8 summit takes place next Sunday in Dalston.
The event at passing Clouds aims to raise awareness of the IF Campaign, which sees over 150 charities collaborating to ensure the issues of aid, land, tax and transparency are on the G8’s agenda on June 17, when eight of the world’s most powerful capitalist nations will meet up in the UK.
Organiser Barbara Eze, a volunteer at Progressio, an international development charity, hopes it will be a fun, informal and creative evening.
“It is a chance to meet with others who think that one in eight people going hungry every day is simply unacceptable,” she said.
“Lots of people around here do care about people who do not have enough food in poor countries but they don’t know how to show their support for campaigns or charities trying to make a difference, so this is a really easy way of getting involved.”
You may also want to watch:
The event takes place at 6pm on Sunday June 2 at Passing Clouds in Richmond Road, Dalston. See www.progressio.org.uk/if for more information.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need