Pedestrians crushed by billboard in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Two pedestrians were injured - one seriously - by a billboard which crushed them as they walked past Pembury Circus.
Fencing at the Bellway Homes site in Lower Clapton - where the Pembury Circus development is under construction - is understood to have fallen and caused the advertising board to collapse, according to police.
A man in his 30s suffered a hand injury and a woman in her 40s suffered a back injury.
They were treated by two ambulance crews at the scene in Dalston Lane just after 1.30pm this afternoon, before being rushed to Homerton Hospital.
The incident has been referred to the Health and Safety Executive.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “At this early stage it is thought perimeter fencing around a building site may have fallen.
“An update on their condition awaits.”
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 9 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
Pembury Road was closed while police investigated.
A Bellway Spokeswoman said: “As a matter of priority, we are working with our principal contractor Ardmore Construction to investigate the incident.
“Our thoughts are with the injured parties, who we wish a speedy recovery.”