Pedestrians crushed by billboard in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Two pedestrians were injured - one seriously - by a billboard which crushed them as they walked past Pembury Circus.
Fencing at the Bellway Homes site in Lower Clapton - where the Pembury Circus development is under construction - is understood to have fallen and caused the advertising board to collapse, according to police.
A man in his 30s suffered a hand injury and a woman in her 40s suffered a back injury.
They were treated by two ambulance crews at the scene in Dalston Lane just after 1.30pm this afternoon, before being rushed to Homerton Hospital.
The incident has been referred to the Health and Safety Executive.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “At this early stage it is thought perimeter fencing around a building site may have fallen.
“An update on their condition awaits.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Pembury Road was closed while police investigated.
A Bellway Spokeswoman said: “As a matter of priority, we are working with our principal contractor Ardmore Construction to investigate the incident.
“Our thoughts are with the injured parties, who we wish a speedy recovery.”