Pedestrians crushed by billboard in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Two pedestrians were injured - one seriously - by a billboard which crushed them as they walked past Pembury Circus.
Fencing at the Bellway Homes site in Lower Clapton - where the Pembury Circus development is under construction - is understood to have fallen and caused the advertising board to collapse, according to police.
A man in his 30s suffered a hand injury and a woman in her 40s suffered a back injury.
They were treated by two ambulance crews at the scene in Dalston Lane just after 1.30pm this afternoon, before being rushed to Homerton Hospital.
The incident has been referred to the Health and Safety Executive.
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “At this early stage it is thought perimeter fencing around a building site may have fallen.
“An update on their condition awaits.”
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 5 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 6 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 7 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
Pembury Road was closed while police investigated.
A Bellway Spokeswoman said: “As a matter of priority, we are working with our principal contractor Ardmore Construction to investigate the incident.
“Our thoughts are with the injured parties, who we wish a speedy recovery.”