Pedestrians crushed by billboard in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Two pedestrians were injured - one seriously - by a billboard which crushed them as they walked past Pembury Circus.
Fencing at the Bellway Homes site in Lower Clapton - where the Pembury Circus development is under construction - is understood to have fallen and caused the advertising board to collapse, according to police.
A man in his 30s suffered a hand injury and a woman in her 40s suffered a back injury.
They were treated by two ambulance crews at the scene in Dalston Lane just after 1.30pm this afternoon, before being rushed to Homerton Hospital.
The incident has been referred to the Health and Safety Executive.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “At this early stage it is thought perimeter fencing around a building site may have fallen.
“An update on their condition awaits.”
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 6 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 7 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 10 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
Pembury Road was closed while police investigated.
A Bellway Spokeswoman said: “As a matter of priority, we are working with our principal contractor Ardmore Construction to investigate the incident.
“Our thoughts are with the injured parties, who we wish a speedy recovery.”