Pembury youngsters sew their way to success
- Credit: Archant
Young sewing enthusiasts from Hackney have been featured in a celebrity-studded series for BBC Children in Need.
The Great British Sewing Bee aired on BBC2 from October 21 to 23, featuring guest-host, broadcaster Sara Cox.
The show, featured Sara visiting a group of youngsters, aged 10 to 18, who attend a fashion and textile project called Threads in Pembury Estate, Dalston Lane.
BBC Children in Need has donated almost £200,000 over the past three years to Threads with housing association Peabody, investing a further £11,000.
Since Threads launched in 2011, 172 girls have registered with the project, 50 have received an OCN Fashion Design accreditation and others have gone on to get apprenticeships, and degrees.
You may also want to watch:
Peabody’s senior fashion trainer, Janine Francois said: “The money has helped young girls living in and around Peabody’s Pembury estate in so many ways from 1-2-1 mentoring support to trips to places they may never otherwise visited and for some, a chosen career path. It has been fantastic to watch our young people make the transition from childhood to adulthood and see their self-esteem grow.”
Sara Cox said: “I have seen for myself what Threads offers these young girls which is not only offers the chance for them to form great friendships but the opportunity for them tap into their creative senses and learn new skills which can enable them to get a foot on the career ladder.”
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
Threads meet from 4pm to 7.30pm on Tuesdays (13-18 year olds) and from 11am to 3pm on Saturdays (10-12 year olds) at Pembury Learning Centre, Pembury Estate, 183 Dalston Lane.
Call 07713 083995 to find out more.