Pembury youngsters sew their way to success
- Credit: Archant
Young sewing enthusiasts from Hackney have been featured in a celebrity-studded series for BBC Children in Need.
The Great British Sewing Bee aired on BBC2 from October 21 to 23, featuring guest-host, broadcaster Sara Cox.
The show, featured Sara visiting a group of youngsters, aged 10 to 18, who attend a fashion and textile project called Threads in Pembury Estate, Dalston Lane.
BBC Children in Need has donated almost £200,000 over the past three years to Threads with housing association Peabody, investing a further £11,000.
Since Threads launched in 2011, 172 girls have registered with the project, 50 have received an OCN Fashion Design accreditation and others have gone on to get apprenticeships, and degrees.
You may also want to watch:
Peabody’s senior fashion trainer, Janine Francois said: “The money has helped young girls living in and around Peabody’s Pembury estate in so many ways from 1-2-1 mentoring support to trips to places they may never otherwise visited and for some, a chosen career path. It has been fantastic to watch our young people make the transition from childhood to adulthood and see their self-esteem grow.”
Sara Cox said: “I have seen for myself what Threads offers these young girls which is not only offers the chance for them to form great friendships but the opportunity for them tap into their creative senses and learn new skills which can enable them to get a foot on the career ladder.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Shocked woman finds bugs in unopened Lidl Paprika Jar
- 4 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 6 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 9 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
Threads meet from 4pm to 7.30pm on Tuesdays (13-18 year olds) and from 11am to 3pm on Saturdays (10-12 year olds) at Pembury Learning Centre, Pembury Estate, 183 Dalston Lane.
Call 07713 083995 to find out more.